Craving a delicious cold summer treat? This low carb keto chocolate avocado ice cream will knock your socks off. A little cinnamon and spice go a long way…
Spicy and sweet, can you dig it? Better yet, spicy, sweet, and dairy-free. And egg-free. And paleo friendly. And vegan, come to think of it, which is shocking for this devoted carnivore. And low carb, gluten-free, grain-free, and sugar-free, of course. Wow, this recipe actually hits a ridiculous number of healthy diet requirements, which I didn’t even consider until I sat down to write this post. But the real question is whether or not it’s any good. Oh yes, yes it is. It’s rich and creamy and chocolatey, with a hint of cinnamon and smoky chipotle. It’s also very easy to make. Did I mention it’s spicy and sweet? Oh yeah, I said that way at the beginning, didn’t I?
I seem to be really into recipe challenges these days. My friends at California Avocadosrecently put my ice cream creativity to the test for California Avocado Month (which is June…I just made it under the wire!). They sent me another shipment of their gorgeous fruit and asked me to get creative with ice cream recipes that involve avocados. I was totally on board, in part because I love a challenge and in part because I love ice cream. But really I was on board because who doesn’t want 24 perfect avocados to arrive on their doorstep? Yup, it’s true. I can be bought for a case of avocados and I am not ashamed to admit it.
I certainly was aware that you could make ice cream with avocados but I’d never tried it myself. I am pretty happy with my usual ice cream methodology: cream, egg yolks, sweetener, add in your favourite flavours, churn, freeze, eat. But for the price of a case of California Avocados, I can be persuaded to change up my routine. They really do make a fabulous base for ice cream, as it turns out. That creamy flesh makes for a thick egg-free “custard” that churns quickly and easily. And it stays thick so it never gets too drippy as it melts. Add some chocolate and some spices, and you have yourself a spicy sweet dairy-free paleo vegan low carb gluten-free grain-free sugar-free summer treat. Try saying that 10 times fast!
Many thanks to California Avocados for partnering with me to bring you this delicious recipe that meets every single dietary restriction ever invented.
Craving a delicious cold summer treat? This low carb chocolate avocado ice cream will knock your socks off. A little cinnamon and spice go a long way…
- 1 15-ounce can full fat coconut milk
- 1/3 cup Swerve Sweetener
- 1 tsp espresso powder (optional, boosts chocolate flavour)
- 3 ounces sugar-free dark chocolate, such as Lily’s, chopped
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 medium California Avocados
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 to 3/4 tsp chipotle powder (depending on how spicy you like it. Alternatively, you can use chile powder but it is more mild)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, whisk together the coconut milk, sweetener, and espresso powder until sweetener has dissolved. Bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and add chopped chocolate. Let sit 4 minutes until chocolate is melted, then whisk until smooth. Whisk in vanilla extract.
- In a blender or food processor, combine avocados, chocolate mixture, cinnamon, and chipotle. Puree until smooth. Refrigerate until cool, at least 2 hours.
- Transfer mixture to an ice cream maker and churn until consistency resembles soft serve ice cream (this takes less time than custard based ice creams). Serve as soft serve or transfer to an airtight container and freeze another few hours for a firmer consistency.
Serves 6. Each serving has 4.16g NET CARBS.
Food energy: 278kcal Total fat: 25.74g Calories from fat: 231 Cholesterol: 1mg Carbohydrate: 12.19g Total dietary fiber: 8.03g Protein: 3.06g Erythritol: